On this page you will find:
- Who are The Developer Society?
- Some of our proudest moments
- What is this role?
- Compensation & benefits
- How to apply (please read carefully)
Who are The Developer Society?
We are a fully not for profit co-op digital agency based in the UK, working exclusively with charities, NGOs and mission driven organisations. We exist to bring our expertise and experience across development, design, project management, and strategy to the groups making the biggest impact in the world. This includes some of the biggest and most innovative changemakers in the UK and around the world such as: Samaritans, Macmillan Cancer Care, Oxfam International, War Child, Choose Love/Help Refugees, Mercy Corps, 38 Degrees, and many more.
Some of our proudest moments...
Here's a small sample of some of our most impactful work. By joining our team, you can help shape the future our life-changing work.
- Over £10 million raised for refugees and migrants
DEV built and maintains Choose Love’s fundraising system, packed full of innovative features that have helped Choose Love/Help Refugees reach over one million people through over 300 projects in 22 countries.
- 120,000+ simulator views for eye health
DEV developed an augmented reality sight simulator for See Now and the Fred Hollows foundation. It was used over 120,000 times, reached 5.6 million people on social in the first 3 months, and was a cornerstone of the public campaign tha tiles to the US Congress increasing funding for the CDC’s Vision Health Initiative, Glaucoma Project & National Eye Institute by $40 million.
- Almost 40 million page visits in a year holding businesses to account
We worked with the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre to rebuild their site, which tracks the human rights impacts of over 10,000 companies worldwide. In the new site’s first year live, it received over 39 million unique page views across 8 different languages, an increase of 50% on the previous year.
- Over 50 million healthy journeys for school children
With the Living Streets Travel Tracker, we’ve built a tool that encourages greener, healthier travel to school. And since launch, we’ve logged over 50 million active trips through the system. When you put all those trips together, that’s over 20 trips to the moon and back each year. What’s even more out of this world, if you lined up all the distances travelled over those 50 million healthier trips to school, then the students of the UK would have reached Mars by now and already be well on their way back.
- 172,882 graphics generated for cancer care
With our headline generator — an easy to use graphics tool — Macmillan Cancer Care were able to make use of their custom brand elements across their entire organisation. They used the tool to save them needing custom graphic support for their comms material an enormous 172,882 times.
- 1,000,000 data points per year for mental health support
We’ve built a volunteer dashboard that helps Samaritans assess their support demands and direct their volunteer resources. We analyse around one million data points every year to produce live tracking of their needs and to help predict where demand is going to come next, helping Samaritans make better use of their time to ultimately help more people in distress.
- 2,000,000+ online campaigners with Oxfam International
The Developer Society built and continues to develop the ACT platform, which powers the online campaigns of more than 50 Oxfam International teams across 6 continents. To date, more than 2 million individuals have supported Oxfam’s campaigns using the platform.
What is this role?
To help more people, we have to bring in more projects. It's as simple as that. As the Partnerships Lead: Business Development & Nonprofit Sales you could be a crucial part of making that happen.
We exist to deliver tech for good projects and help great orgs use technology to change lives. We believe the tools we develop can help charities and NGOs do good in more effective and efficient ways. To make this change, we need to bring in great projects to work on. And to have greater impact at scale, we want to work on bigger and longer projects where we have even more room to influence positive outcomes.
And that's where you could come in. We're looking for someone to join our Partnerships and Business Development team to help us close more deals. You'll be an experienced professional sitting between our Director of Partnerships and Business Development and our Partnerships Executive. There will be space for you to learn and grow but we want someone who will be a leader too, someone with a strong opinion of how things should be done and who is willing to continually push for higher standards in order to create more change in the world.
This role is about Sales For Good. It will have all the excitement of closing deals, hitting deadlines for pitches, and the pressure of targets to meet but it will all be done in the name of positive impact. You won't be on commission, you won't be part of a sales team that wins work and then steps away; you're in this to land work that goes on to make a real difference. That's why this role is so crucial. If you're excited about how doing sales well can have a very direct impact on the world and not on your shareholders bank balance, then this might be the perfect role for you.
Deliverables in this role will include...
- Owning the end of our sales funnel -- taking warm leads and helping convert them into signed contracts
- Creating compelling pitch decks
- Responding to RFPs, ITT and other briefs in a detailed, exciting, and convincing way
- Tracking sales progress across the team and helping coordinate the work of everyone at DEV focused on sales
- Excellent relationship management. Maintaining contact with key individuals and organisations.
- Creating key marketing moments and tools such as case studies, accessibility reports, and running events
- Writing copy for promotional material
- Ad hoc support i.e. jumping in and getting your hands dirty, taking on tasks across the team to help the running of the organisation as needed
We are looking for someone who is...
- Passionate about the opportunity to work with charities and nonprofits
- Aware that diversity in teams is a strength. Particularly people with lived experience of this.
- Excited by sales & marketing and keen to help us grow our brand and reach
- Interested in technology and how it can be used to make the world a better place
- Big hearted and keen to improve the world
- Organised and self-motivated
- Strongly interested in learning and developing their skills
- A great communicator
- Upbeat, friendly, and a positive addition to the team
- Not afraid of the hard-nosed sales work but can make it feel appropriate to our sector (we don't have clients or customers, we have partners and it's crucial that language and the thinking behind it really resonates with you)
- Able to blend the world of nonprofits and sales/marketing/agencies. If you can demonstrate experience in all of these areas then that's fantastic but not necessary. We'd like to see you show expertise in at least one and a demonstrable interest in the other areas.
If that sounds like you, then we’d love to hear from you!
Compensation & benefits
While we exist to help our charity partners make change and are proudly nonprofit, it is also incredibly important to us that we create a positive and sustainable working situation for everyone in our team. In return for helping bring more amazing projects to DEV, you will get:
- A salary of £40,000 - £46,000 per annum in line with your experience and responsibilities. You can read more about the thinking that shapes our salary structure in our Pay Principles and see the specific details on how a salary is determined in How We Do Salaries.
- The opportunity to work with world-leading charities to change the world
- A great learning environment
- Flexible paid leave of 30 days per year (+ public holidays)
- We also currently work a '9 day fortnight', which means you get every second Friday off. This is a cooperative initiative that has been running for the last year and is subject to review by all members.
- A workplace that is both fun and supportive
- Beautiful studio space at Digbeth’s Custard Factory to work from post-pandemic or fully remote working, or a mix of both
- Or access to a co-working space in your area if you prefer that to home-working
- Optional membership of the Developer Society co-op, giving you democratic input into the running of our organisation, including electing representatives and voting rights. This is something that sets us apart.
- A MacBook to match the needs of your position and any other equipment needed to do your role
- An enhanced parental leave package which include 3 months fully paid leave for anyone accessing maternity and shared parental leave and full pay top up for statutory paternity leave
- A tailored budget to support professional development
- Mental health support through collaboration with NHS Devon Partnership as part of our Mindful Employer Commitment: https://www.mindfulemployer.dpt.nhs.uk/