At the moment we’re not actively hiring for this role. However if you’re interested in joining DEV as an Entry-level Django Developer in future - fill out this short form and you’ll be the first to know when we’re looking for more people
WANTED: An Entry-level Django Developer to join our co-operative digital team. Use your knowledge of technology and your developer skills to help amazing charities and nonprofits change the world through building websites and web apps.
- Motivated to make the world a better place?
- Organised and self-motivated?
- Eager to keep on learning and sharing skills?
- A great communicator?
If this sounds like you then we’d love to talk to you.
We’re a not-for-profit co-op filled with digital designers, developers and campaigners, working with big names like Choose Love, Lumos, Church of England, Oxfam, Business Human Rights Resource Centre, Samaritans and many more. If you'd like to join our team and help us to deliver great work then we want to hear from you.
Our Studio is in the Custard Factory in Digbeth, Birmingham. You can work from wherever you like, but we try to get together as a team in one place a couple of times a year - pandemic dependent - and we ask that your working hours have a significant overlap with the GMT timezone.
To find out more about our team and culture, see: https://www.dev.ngo/join/
Entry-level Django Developer
You will be enhancing your development skills through projects which have a big impact on the world
There’s plenty of technical jargon in here, but simply put, we're looking for intelligent people who have an eagerness to learn new things, and the communication skills to be able to work effectively with our team and our partners.
You might not have years of technical knowledge yet, you'll be supported to learn the skills needed. We're after people who are natural problem solvers and know when to yell for support.
We're looking for the right person over any specific laundry list of skills but here's our wishlist. If you have some/all of these, we'd love to hear from you.
You should probably have some mix of these...
- A keenness to be working closely and collaboratively with frontend developers and designers
- Some knowledge of Python and Django
- An interest in Wagtail, our favourite CMS framework
- A basic understanding of working with Git and using GitHub
- Ability to learn from code review, taking part in cooperative learning and following best practices
For this particular role we're not expecting past experience - we're looking for people who are aiming for their first Django Developer role. Maybe you've completed a boot camp and you're eager to put your new skills to good use, or you've just finished a course and you're keen to use that knowledge on real world projects.
We're most interested in learning about your passion and approach to learning.
A portfolio of what you've learned so far (GitHub, Codepen, a blog) is beneficial.
We also like talking to people who enjoy...
- Working in an agency environment (albeit a not for profit one!)
- Being able to work on projects for charities and non-profits
- Writing Pythonic code
- Optimising page speed for the right level of performance
- Caring about their impact on society
In return you'll get...
- A salary of £25,000 - £27,500 per annum in line with your experience and responsibilities. You can read more about the thinking that shapes our salary structure in our Pay Principles and see the specific details on how a salary is determined in How We Do Salaries.
- The opportunity to work with world-leading charities to change the world
- Flexible paid leave of 30 days per year (+ public holidays)
- A workplace that is both fun and supportive
- Great hardware
- Beautiful studio space at Digbeth’s Custard Factory to work from post-pandemic or fully remote working, or a mix of both
- Optional membership of the Developer Society co-op, giving you democratic input into the running of our organisation, including electing representatives and voting rights. This is something that sets us apart.
- Starting date: November/December 2021
- This role is initially for a fixed 12 month contract
We’ve kept the process nice and simple. Just fill out this short form and we will be in touch with you: https://devsociety.typeform.com/to/FFD4KM5m
Final date for submitting applications is Sunday 24th October 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status and we actively encourage and welcome applications from under-represented groups.
We have no involvement with emailing or cold calling agencies, so if that’s you, please don’t get in touch. If we change our minds one day, we’ll let you know.